• Picture of Green Card

    What is a green card?

    A green card is a permit issued by the U.S. government that allows a foreign person to permanently reside in the U.S. Unlike a work visa holder, a permanent resident may live and work at any place in the U.S. where the permanent resident decides to settle. Permanent Residents are not allowed to vote and have to continuously reside in the U.S. Otherwise, they may lose their green cards.

    You should align yourself with a law firm that can demonstrate successful experience in representing individuals and companies with U.S. immigration law matters, such as a green card. Barbeito & Hiatt, Attorneys at Law, based in Houston, Tex., has a combined 40 years of experience representing clients seeking citizenship in the United States.

    There are several ways to become a U.S. citizen including green cards naturalization, automatic citizenship and derivative citizenship. If you have questions as to your eligibility for citizenship, please do not hesitate to contact us at info@BarbeitoHiatt.com.

  • Image of Green Card

    How do I get a green card?

    Most people obtain a green card by a petition from their spouses, parents, children or siblings. However, a green card may also be obtained through employment and a few other self-petitioning immigration programs (e.g., widow of a U.S. citizen or victims of certain crimes).

    The official term for a green card is Permanent Resident Card. This permit affords you the privilege to live and work in the United States. Application for the green card depends on several steps you must take to apply. The general application process that will occur is:

    • An immigrant petition is filed for you by someone referring or sponsoring you. In certain situations, you can be eligible to file for yourself.
    • Once this petition is approved, they will check to see if a visa is available for the category to which you belong. You will then file either a visa application with the U.S. Department of State or an application with the USCIS.
    • You attend a biometric appointment where you will provide a photo, signature and fingerprints.
    • ou attend an interview.
    • A decision will be made on your application and you will be notified.

    Before beginning this application process, there are two questions you should ask.
    1. Are you eligible to apply? Immigration laws in the U.S. offer several ways to apply for a green card. Eligibility requirements will vary depending upon the immigrant category you will file under. There are two forms most people will need to complete - immigrant petition and a green card application (Form I-485). In most situations, someone else will be required to file the petition for you. This is usually the person or company sponsoring you.
    2. Is your location in the United States or outside? If you find out that you are eligible to apply for a green card, it is important to determine either an adjustment processing or consular processing is necessary.

  • Image depicting Green Card

    How much does a green card cost?

    A full adjustment of status application (the legal term for a green card application) currently has a cost of $1760 if filed concurrently with a petition by an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen (spouse, parent or child under age 21 and single). Your individual situation will really dictate the cost associated with filing for a green card. Contact Barbeito and Hiatt today to find out more.


  • Barbeito & Hiatt

    “Trying to file for a green card was frustrating. I filled out the wrong forms and didn’t find out for months that I made an error. I contacted Barbeito and Hiatt for help. They had my paperwork filed quickly and helped me through the next steps of the process to finally be approved. We are very happy we chose to work with them.”

    Image related to Star Rating
  • Barbeito & Hiatt

    “ Barbeito and Hiatt were true professionals throughout our green card process. They knew exactly what we needed to proceed and made sure we understood the steps needed to obtain an approved application.”

    Image related to Star Rating
507 N Sam Houston Pkwy. E Suite 530
Houston, TX 77060
(281) 809-7500
(281) 808-6099
Send via WhatsApp